The Torah was the divine scripture revealed to the Prophet Moses. In this post we will look briefly at this Scripture:
- The word Torah is Hebrew for guidance or teaching.
- The Torah is mentioned 18 times in the Quran. God also describes the Torah as something which distinguished between right and wrong.
- The Torah was revealed to the Prophet Moses after he and the Israelites left Egypt. Moses went to speak to God and left his people for forty nights. It is at this point that he was given the Torah.
- God describes the Torah in the Quran, “We revealed the Torah with guidance and light, and the prophets who has submitted to God, judged according to it for the Jews…” [5:44]
- The Torah contained the command to worship God alone as well as laws. It also made mention of the Messenger Muhammad and spoke of his coming. God says in the Quran, “…who follow the Messenger – the unlettered Prophet they find described in the Torah that is with them, and in the Gospel – who commands them to do right and forbids them to do wrong, who makes good things lawful to them and bad things unlawful…” [7:157]
- The Torah also described the disciples of the Messenger Muhammad. God says in the Quran, “You see them kneeling and prostrating, seeking God’s bounty and His good pleasure: on their faces they bear the marks of their prostrations. This is how they are pictured in the Torah and the Gospel…” [48:29]
- The Torah mentioned that those who seek to purify themselves will be rewarded by God. God says in the Quran, “Prosperous are those who purify themselves, remember the name of their Lord, and pray. Yet you prefer the life of this world, even though the Hereafter is better and more lasting. All this is in the earlier scriptures, the scriptures of Abraham and Moses.” [87: 14-19]